A highly accomplished Sitar player of this generation, Murchana Adhikary Barthakur belongs to the Senia gharana of Sitar playing. Initially Murchana had the fortune of receiving intense talim in Sitar from her mother and guru Smt. Nilima Barthakur, who was a disciple of Ustad Ilayas Khan of Lucknow Sahajahanpur gharana and Pandit Debu Chaudhuri, of Senia gharana. Since last fifteen years, Murchana is having the great fortune to receive rigorous talim from Padmabhushan Pandit Debu Chaudhuri.
She also had the fortune to have talim on the intricacies of Senia Maihar Gharana from Late Pandit Deepak Choudhury of Kolkata. Murchana’s performance, as a result of years of learning, reflects a very dignified, graceful, virtuosic and an aesthetic presentation, with a unique musical repertoire.
Groomed in a musical ambience, Murchana was fortunate enough to have her ears accustomed to the divine fragrance of Indian Classical Music from her very childhood. Her father Dr Dilip Ranjan Barthakur is an eminent Tabla player of Farukhabad Gharana and a Musicologist. His book based on his doctoral work The Music and Musical Instruments of North Eastern India, has received worldwide acclaim.
In the year 2004, Murchana graduated from Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata with Honours in the subject of Instrumental Music in First class. And in 2006, she has completed her Master’s degree (M.A.) in Music with First class and Distinction from the same university. Presently, Murchana is doing her Ph.D in Music from Indira Kala Sangeet Viswavidyalaya, Khairagarh.
Special Achievements :
* Awarded with the title of SURMANI from the Sur-Singar Samsad of Mumbai in 2008.
* Awarded the National Scholarship for Young Artistes from the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India
* A recipient of National Talent Scholarship in Music from 1993 to 2003 from the Centre for Cultural
Resources and Training (C.C.R.T.) under Govt. of India, New Delhi.
* Ranked First position within Assam in the subject of Music in the School Final Examination of 1999
* Attended and performed in several Seminars and Symposiums organized by The Centre for Cultural
Resources and Training, held in different regions of India.
* Attended many International Seminars as observer---Seminar on Music as a Medium of Urban
Transformation held at Max Mueller Bhavan, Kolkata, The International Colloquium, 2010 of S. M.
Tagore Centre for Documentation & Research of Languishing & Obsolescent Instruments, Rabindra
Bharati University, Kolkata etc.
* Many write-ups on Music have been published in many prominent magazines.
* Works at The Calcutta School of Music, Kolkata, in the faculty of Indian Music, Instrumental, Sitar.
* She has been invited as a Guest Teacher and Artiste by the Ministry of Education, at the “Afghanistan National Institute of Music” from 2012.
* A Trustee at the Board of Chaulkhowa Sangeet Mahavidyalaya, Dibrugarh, Assam.
* An examiner at the Instrumental Dept. of Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata.
* Invited as a Visiting fellow at “ Dr Bhupen Hazarika Centre for Performing Arts” of Dibrugarh
University in 2013 and 2014.
Important Performances :
A few important concerts are mentioned below:
* 98th Birth Celebration of Ustad Mushtaq Ali Khan by UMAK
* Kal Ke Kalakar by Sur Singar Samsad, Mumbai
* Ostad Bhagabandas Setari Memorial Music Conference, Kolkata
* Swami Haridas Sangeet Sammelan, Mumbai
* 6th Navabarsha Mahotsava of Sreemanta Sankardeva Kalahetra, Guwahati
* Swar Sadhana Samiti, Mumbai
* Malhar Aavishkar in association with Indian Council of Cultural Relations & Symbiosis International Cultural Centre at Pune
* Monsoon Concert of The Calcutta School of Music
* All India Music Conference Sangeet Madhuri, organized by the Dept. of Culture, Govt. of Assam
* Concerts at the Afghanistan National Institute of Music, Kabul
* India Club, Guwahati, Assam
* India International Centre, New Delhi.
* Baithak organized by Prayas in Kolkata
* Concerts organized by Sadhana Music Circle, Kolkata
* Performed in Guwahati Doordarshan, Lucknow Doordarshan, N.E.T.V, Dibrugarh Doordarshan, interviews TOLO and KHURSHID TV of Afghanistan etc. It is worth to mention that Sitar Jugalbandi performed by her and her husband Surashri Abhishek Adhikary, has been highly acclaimed in the music festivals all over India and abroad.e
Copyright © Sitar Jugalbandi 2021