Pandit Abhishek Adhikary is an outstanding Sitar player of India, belonging to Senia Maihar Gharana. He belongs to the eighth generation of his family lineage in music. His performance reflects the traditional Dhrupadang Beenkar baaz and the purity of the Ragas. His soulful Alap and Vistar and the heart touching Meends create an aesthetic appeal among the listeners. Though Abhishek mainly plays the Tantrakari ang but he assimilates the Gayaki ang too in his performance. His style of playing reflects spiritualism with dexterity.
Groomed in the atmosphere of music from the very childhood, Abhishek Adhikary took to music instinctively. He belongs to the eighth generation of his family lineage in music. The eminent Surbahar and Sitar player Aacharya Bhagabandas Sitary, who was the State musician of the Nawab Estate of Dhaka, was one of the worthy descendants of Pandit Haricharandas Swami and an ancestor of Abhishek. Both the parents of Abhishek, Sangeetacharya Nandalal Adhikary and Smt. Rakhi Adhikary are reputed vocalists of Kolkata. Initially, Abhishek started his sitar lessons from Late Sri Sukumar Chandra. Thereafter, he was fortunate to have his rigorous Talim in sitar from Late Pandit Deepak Choudhury, one of the finest Sitarists of India. (Both were the foremost disciples of Bharat Ratna Pandit Ravi Shankar). Presently he is also fortunate to have his Talim on the finer aspects of the Senia Gharana from Sitar maestro Padmabhushan Pandit Debu Chaudhuri.
Special Achivements :
• Awarded the title Sur Mani from Sur Singar Samsad , Mumbai in 2009.
• Abhishek was honoured with the title Surashri from ‘Mattri Udghatan Ashram’, Patna.
• In 2006, he has completed his Master’s degree (M.A.) in Music with First class and Distinction from Rabindra Bharati University.
• Graduated from Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata, in the year 2004, with Honours in the subject of Instrumental Music in First class First.
• Abhishek has been conferred the Nikhil Banerjee Memorial Prize and the Nirod Baran Memorial Prize at the 30th Annual Convocation of Rabindra Bharati University for securing Highest marks in the B.A.Examination (Instrumental Music) 2004.
• He is also a First class Sangeet Prabhakar holder from Prayag-Sangit-Samiti Allahabad.
• Presently he is doing his Ph.D. from Rabindra Bharati University,WB , India
• In the year 2007 he has been awarded the National Scholarship in Sitar from the Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
• He was awarded the Challenge Trophy in ‘Inter Collegiate Calcutta Oriented Music Competition’.
• In 2015 an Album ‘ Salute- Tribute to Pt. Ravi Shankar’ has been released by Free Bird, Raga to Rock Records from Mumbai, India.
• An examiner at the Instrumental Dept. of Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata.
• He has been invited as a Guest Teacher and Artiste by the Ministry of Education, at the “Afghanistan National Institute of Music” since 2012.
• A Trustee at the Board of Chaulkhowa Sangeet Mahavidyalaya, Dibrugarh, Assam.
• Attended many International Seminars as observer---Seminar on Music as a Medium of Urban Transformation held at Max Mueller Bhavan, Kolkata, The International Colloquium, 2010 of S. M.Tagore Centre for Documentation & Research of Languishing & Obsolescent Instruments, Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata etc.
He has shared his performances with many renowned gems of Indian Classical Music in same stages. Like – Pandit Hari Prasad Chourasia, Ustad Ghulam Mushtafa Khan, Ustad Maskoor Ali Khan, Vidhushi Girija Devi, Pandit Buddhadev Dasgupta, Pandit Deepak Chaudhury, Pandit Anindya Bandopadhyay, Pandit Kumar Bose, Pandit Samar Saha, Sri Arup Chatterjee, Sri Subhankar Banerjee etc etc …
Some of the prestigious concerts :
• Baba Allauddin Khan Smriti Sangeet Samaraha held at Rabindra Sadan, Kolkata.
• Music Conference organized by Hindol Music Circle;Kolkata.
• Concerts in Bangladesh.
• India International Centre, New Delhi, India.
• Nadam Music Festival, a tribute to Late Pandit Biswanath Bose held in Kolkata.
• Nisha Gandhi festival in Trivandam, Kerala.
• “Baithak” organized by Prayas , Kolkata, WB.
• Music concerts in Patna,Bihar,
• The 45th Ostad Bhagaban Setary Smriti Sangeet Sanmelan with his Guru Pandit Deepak Choudhury.
• The silver jubilee programme of ‘Chaulkhowa Sangeet Mahavidyalaya and ‘Vivekananda Kendra’of Dibrugarh, Assam;
• In the year 2005, represented West Bengal in the National Integration Programme held in Kochi, Kerala.
• Concert of Swar Sadhana Samiti of Mumbai in 2008.
• Concert of Kalke Kalakar Sangeet Sanmelan organized by Sur Sringer Samsad, Mumbai in 2009.
• Swami Haridas Sangeet Sammelan of Mumbai in 2009.
• Malhar Aavishkar in association with Indian Council of Cultural Relations & Symbiosis International Cultural Centre at Pune.
• Concert in the 150th Birth Anniversary of Swami Vivekananda at Rabindra Sadan, Sargachhi, Murshidabad,WB, India.
• “Sangeet Madhuri”, All India Classical Music Festival organized by Cultural Affairs, Govt. of Assam.
• Concerts at the Afghanistan National Institute of Music, Kabul, Afghanistan.
• All India Dhrupad Festival held at Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
Moreover, Pandit ji has also performed several times in Television chanels like- CTVN, NE TV, AKASH BANGLA, DOORDARSHAN (DD7) recording in Viswabharati (Santiniketan), TOLO TV & KHURSHID TV – Kabul (Afghanistan), DOORDARSHAN recording in Dibrugarh (Assam). GORGEOUS RADIO- Surtarang Broadcast, United Kingdom etc.
Copyright © Sitar Jugalbandi 2021